More People are Turning to Plastic Surgery After Massive Weight Loss, Study Says
Posted on July 30, 2015
Many people undergo major weight loss surgery believing the end result will be the shape and figure they always wanted. But in reality, weight loss surgery may only be the first step towards a desired physique. New information released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) shows an increase in the number of weight loss surgeries has sparked a rise in body contouring procedures. Dr. David Rankin takes a closer look at these findings and the benefits of body contouring after major weight loss surgery.
Massive Weight Loss Surgery Fuels Increase in Plastic Surgery
In 2014, body contouring procedures that typically follow major weight loss increased at their fastest rate in four years, according to ASPS. Thigh lifts and upper arm lifts both rose 9 percent, tummy tucks increased 4 percent, while breast lifts rose 10 percent. Last year also saw a surge in the number of weight loss surgeries. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons believes the rises in weight loss surgery and body contouring procedures are related.
People who undergo major weight loss surgery are often times left with excess skin, including on the arms, abdomen, and thighs. This sagging, drooping skin can be uncomfortable, unsightly and even painful for weight loss surgery patients. Body contouring procedures restore firmness and elasticity to your body by removing excess skin.
Benefits of Plastic Surgery After Major Weight Loss Surgery
Each body contouring procedure offers different benefits for weight loss patients, depending on what they are trying to achieve.
- Body lift, the procedure most commonly performed after-weight loss, eliminates loose skin and refines the contours of the lower body after massive weight loss
- Breast lift elevates saggy breasts to a higher position on the chest and eliminates excess skin
- Tummy tuck surgery eliminates excess loose skin and stubborn fat deposits on the abdomen
- Arm lift removes excess arm skin for a smoother, tighter contour
- Liposuction can get rid of excess fat and refine the contours of different areas of the body, including the back and thighs
Take the Next Step with Body Contouring
If you have recently undergone weight loss surgery, consider perfecting your new body shape with one of our body contouring procedures. Schedule a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Rankin of Aqua Plastic Surgery by calling (561) 776-2830 today.